Sunday, January 11, 2009

retrograde

I learned in astronomy that as the planets orbit the sun in a elliptical formation, the planets may be seem to be orbiting backwards. This phenomena is called retrograde motion. The way it works is it's kind of like a track where runners race on. They begin staggered and end staggered as well, because we all know the inside "track" is the essentially the shortest. Therefore the only way for the racers to race equivalent distances is to begin staggered and what not.

It's all about the curve, as the inside racer appears to be going faster when they take the curve and the outside runner appears to be going slower or at direct line of sight almost traveling backwards. This is a difficult idea to grasp but it happens with the planets all the time, actually any time one planet passes another. Planets appear to be going backwards because of the differing orbital speeds and periods.

I feel like jupiter; big, fat, slow one. That is always passed up by the quick speedy venus or mercury. And when they pass me I feel myself also traveling backwards. But I need to keep reminding myself, this "step back" only appears that way. Sure it may take me longer than most to muster up the gutso to pull it full throttle, but I am pacing it. Persevering.

No comments: